Sunday, September 14, 2008

My scholar

Her name is Cristal Joan Mediana.

I personally don't know her. And she doesn't know me, either.

Mrs. Diday Barretto had approached me last summer to find out if I wan interested in sponsoring a scholar in the Parish Preschool - Classroom Bagong Silang.

I had sponsored other students before, but never a pre-school child. And never one of dire charity. Without hesitation, I simply turned over a check and thought, what the hell, what was parting with a few thousand pesos? It was going to a good cause anyway. Times are hard and starting them young was probably a good idea.

A few days ago, I received a letter on my desk. My mom had put it there. I didn't open the letter until today.

Mrs. Barretto had written that I "would be happy to see the first quarter report card of my scholar...she was one of the 5 top students who graduated from us last March. The "thank you" card from her parents was heart warming and touching.

Strangely, I found out her name only today. She is now grade 1 and is in a public school. And she is doing great. Today, I felt glad that I sponsored a child and pray that somewhere along the way, Cristal Joan Mediana will do well.

I want to see her reach her dreams somehow, someday.

In the meantime, I shall remain anonymous and will continue this little work of charity and hope that one day she can "pay it forward".

No comments: