Sunday, July 20, 2008

Mamma Mia and The Dark Knight...at the movies



I haven't entered a blog for the past weeks because our house is being renovated. It's a daunting task and truth be told, I would never ever have this done again. My life is put on hold and I apologize to those whom I have found less time to be with because of this. It's not an excuse slip. It's just finishing what I started. Thanks for the understanding.

In spite of the hectic days of having to work and supervise the renovation of my house, I had time on weekends to watch Mamma Mia and The Dark Knight. Tired as I was though, my partner took time out to ease my tension by spending time with me...at the movies.

Mamma Mia

I have not seen the broadway version, but if there's anything that I can say for this movie, is that it's a feel good film. You just want to have a good laugh, kick back, and yup, for the older generation, enjoy the music and dance to the songs of ABBA, this movie was worth the buck.

Its synopsis is based on the story of Sophie who is getting married to Sky in a few days and the preparation is all agog. But who will give Sophie away? Her mother, played superbly by Meryl Streep (she can sing!) had flings with three men in her life, all in a row! And voila, Sophie stumbles into her diary, invites her three (?) dads and all mayhem and mystery breaks loose. The upside to the film is that the movie carried a light theme and the music and lyrics of ABBA made up the sequence and script of the film all together.

Who gives away the bride in the end? Watch the movie and have a good laugh. And yes, you can sing and dance. Just remember, that when the credits are running, don't get out of the movie house. You'll miss the encore!



The Dark Knight


Christian Bale is back as Batman and the final film of Heath Ledger as the Joker, before he commits suicide from a drug overdose in real life is now showing in cinemas.

There are two villains to this extra long Batman reel that ran for 2 hours and 45 minutes! Aaron Eckart plays Two-face, after the crime busting district attorney of Gotham City, Harvey Dent whose physical features get decimated after a mind troubling circus with the Joker and the death of Rachel played by Maggie Gyllenhall.

The film is most disturbing and I agree that Ledger's role as Joker has to be his finest shining moment as an actor. He gave his best for last. But the whole fantastic visual and sound effects of the film was eclipsed by a most disturbing story line and central theme that I thought this movie should be rated R. The central theme revolved around anarchy and chaos. Death and destruction. Deception and revenge. Children less than 13 have no right to view this film even if accompanied by adults.

You can tell how shallow minded our movie regulatory authorities are in this country. No nudity otherwise the film is axed and XXXd but a disturbing film like this is fine with a 5 year old as long as mom and dad who probably are as demented as the Joker accompany the brat.

Enough lambasting. You want to sit through the whole bang bang, you're dead or let's blast Gotham City and make the people die here and now and slit their mouths, then this must be your cup of tea.

As for me, Mamma Mia was the winner! As for Batman - back to the batcave boy!

No comments: