Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Letters from the heart


I am sharing with you two letters I received last birthday. They should be shared because they came from two really special people in my life - my niece Carla and nephew Charles.

I'm posting both their letters. At my age, they are my pride and joy. And I know that one day, they will succeed in life as well. Kids, thank you. My sister should be proud on how well she raised you. I can only watch from the sidelines now as I see you grow, knowing you're on solid ground. Strength comes from within the heart that loves and sees the good in what you do.


From Carla

Dearest Uncle B,

You are one of the best storytellers I have ever met. I'm sure all of your friends have once or twice been captivated by your sense of humor, how sarcastic it may be. Sunday dinner is never complete without your "kuwento" (stories).

But among your stories, I find YOUR story the best. Your journey to the top was not always a smooth ride. I know that there were many times when you could have just given up. Your determination, hard work and desire to provide the best for your family enabled you to overcome all obstacles.

Now that I'm about to graduate, you are my inspiration. I would also want to provide the very best to my family, even if it is just taking a little weight off the shoulders of mommy. I know that through God's blessings and you as my supportive uncle, I can make it happen.

Uncle, thank you for everything. Mommy always says that it is not your responsibility to provide for us. Yet you always do without complaints. Many people think that you are arrogant and self-centered, but I know that the real you is the opposite. Your endless kindness and generosity is something no man on earth can compare. Life would not be as fun and crazy without you.

You deserve to be where you are right now. May you continue to inspire young people through your work. May God grant you with even more blessings. I hope that someday I can return the kindness and generosity that you have given me. I love you very much.




From Charles

Dear Ate Charo,

Itago mo na lang ako sa pangalang "Soon-to-be Mr. Accountant".

Si Uncle B ay isang napakmalasakit na tao. Siya ay handang tumulong sa lahat lalo na sa kanyang pamilya. Siay ang tumutulong sa amin tuwing kami ay may kailangan lalo na sa pinansyal na bagay. Si Uncle B ang nagbigay sa amin ng kotse, laptop, computer, iPod at marami pang iba. Siya rin ang nagbigay sa amin ng oportunidad na makapunta sa iba't ibang lugar dito sa Pilipinas at sa ibang bansa. Si Uncle B ay tumutulong rin sa pagaaral namin, kasi nung hayskul ay siya ang nagbabayad ng aming mga libro. Siya rin ang aking "official school bus" ngayong nasa kolehiyo na nako, kahit na madalas ay nahuhuli na siya sa kanyang klase dahil hinahatid pa niya ako sa eskuwelahan.

Madrama rin ang buhay ni Uncle B. Parang Bahay ni Kuya. Naalala ko ang mga kuwento niya noon siya ay nasa Boston at nagaaral ng medisina. Hindi biro ang pinagdaanan niya para lamang umabot siya sa kinalalagyan niya ngayon.

Kahit sa kanyang mga kapwa-doctor ay handa siyang tumulong. Siya ang kumukupkop sa mga pasyenteng nagaagaw buhay at malala na ang kundisyon. At sa awa ng Diyos, napapagaling niya halos lahat ng kanyang mga pasyente.

Noong mga 11 years old ako, siya na ang tumayo bilang aking tatay. Siya yung pinakamalapit na halimbawa ng isang tatay noong mga panahon na naghahanap ako ng "father's image" sa aking buhay.

Si Uncle B rin and aking inspirasyon upang magtagumpay sa buhay. Gusto ko siyang tularan at maging matagumpay rin sa buhay. Gusto ko rin makatulong sa aking nanay tulad ng pagtulong niya sa kanyang ina. Kahit na si Uncle B ay napaka matagumpay na sa buhay ay nasa lupa pa rin ang kanyang mga paa.

Happy birthday! Nagmamahal,

No comments: