Sunday, September 5, 2010

The death of my MacBookPro



My MacBookPro officially died last night.

In the middle of all the slides for my lectures for the month, I tried desperately to save my files. It was frustrating that I was turning it on and off each time the pixels on the screen would scatter and the cursor would hang. Then the computer would shut down. And I'd have to redo the slides that were half-way saved.

It's been 3 days since the symptoms started. My friend who owns PowerMac told me that it's either the hard drive or the logic board. Most probably the logic board since the power sign kept showing up and the pixels were all scattered already. It would cost me around 30,000p to have the logic board fixed.

All gadgets have a lifespan and my MacBookPro had given me the best 6 years of technological wonder! Since I bought it, it had provided me income through the many slide sets it has produced. It has provided me the window to technological advancement and the highway to much needed information in my work, practice and communication with friends and colleagues.

My partner tells me that material things has no room for sentimental values. While I agreed, something in me disagreed as well. I cannot help but reminisce the times I and my MacBookPro shared the best and worst of times together.

I called the owner of PowerMac to inform her on the urgency of the situation. At 7AM this morning, I woke her to tell ask her to make sure that there was a new unit of the iMac Desktop that I could get at 10AM. I dropped by the store, picked up the new desktop - 3.06GHz Intel Core i3 with 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3 memory, 5.86 GT/s speed on a 21" flat screen with no borders and runs on the fastest Snow Leopard version. Standard optical mouse and optical keypads come with it. The new processor architecture, more powerful graphics, big LED backlit displays, two ways to multi touch is the ultimate all-in-one and is turbocharged.

I got an external hard drive that should allow the transfer of all my files from my MacBookPro. During the last 15 minutes of my old laptop's life - I transferred all the important documents and files to the new sleek hard drive, erased all the contents, wrapped it back in it's original sleeve, and bid goodbye to my friend.

Like all things in life, nothing comes permanent.

It was time to enjoy the company of my new desktop.

No comments: