Friday, January 28, 2011

Over dimsum, peking duck and friends


I scrambled to erase all existing appointments for my friends. You see, I've not seen many of them in gazillion years. They were my co-residents during residency training in Pediatrics at the UST Hospital and they have come home to celebrate their silver jubilee.

And while they were preparing and excited to see their former classmates and enjoy some bonding time, they found some time to squeeze me in their hectic schedule.

Excited and giddy as I was, I was able to meet most of them during their short stay in Manila (as majority of them are now based in the US).

It was lunch at the Shang Palace at the Makati Shangri-La. Over dimsum, Peking duck and some delectable soup, we shared stories and reminisced those days when we were still young, carefree and yup...crazy.

Stories on life during residency training, admitting conferences with Dr. Eus Rigor, our consultants whom we feared and whom we loved, the loves and tragedies during the training years, the co-residents whom we despised, the scandals, the breakfasts we all shared each day after the admitting conferences when I was chief resident.

Stories on where they are today. Some had married while some, true to being a pediatrician remained - all the single ladies.

The 2 1/2 hours of tete-a-tete wasn't enough but we closed the restaurant and had to part ways and while it was the last I saw of them during their stay in Manila, they will remain one of the best part of my life.

They say that the people you meet along the journey of life completes your life story.

They complete mine.

1 comment:

rsl said...

It's good to see all of you. You have been a part of my life as well :) Ronnie Lim. Peterson Lu told me about your blog. It's fantastic!